We are able to work 1-2 Bingos per month at the Centennial Bingo Hall. Dates are posted on our calendar. Workers get $40 that goes to the volunteer bond for the year. Once that is fulfilled, any amounts over that go into their credits.
The bingo co-ordinator sends out a google doc with a bingo signup two weeks before each bingo. When you sign up, you will see a few positions that need to be there at 4pm and the rest at 4:45pm. Bingos are done between 9:40 and 10:00pm.
Bingo Jobs and Descriptions
Cash (1 – adult)– sits behind counter all night. Is responsible for getting all bingo payouts ready, refilling float, keeping track of bingo payout sheet. Arrive at 5pm.
Counter (3-4 adults) – start behind counter. Be ready to sell at 5:00 on weekends and 5:30 on weeknights. Sell paper to customers. Must be comfortable with counting money. Only 1 counter worker stays behind counter the whole night. The other counter workers go out on paper aprons around 7:00pm. The one who stays counts paper to be returned, cashs out aprons as the night goes on. Arrive at 5:00 (or 4:45 on weekends).
Horses (4 people – 16 years or older) – Sell seal tickets on the floor. Must have good mobility as it is usually quite busy. Arrive at 4:45 pm
Nevada (2 people – 16 years or older) – Sit at front door and sell nevada seal tickets.. At intervals must walk around with tickets to sell to players sitting down. Stay until the very end to sell to those who are leaving. Can have limited mobility. Arrive at 4:45pm (or 4:30 on weekends).
Callback (1 person – 16 years or older) – Sit with caller and play bingo to be the backup if the electronic boards go down. Mark down running total of bingos to make sure cash matches. Arrive at 5:00pm.
Runner (1 person – can be 15 years or older) – Generally the youngest person. RUN to give bingo winnings to winners. Must have good mobility. Arrive at 5:00pm
Paper Aprons (3-8 people – 15 years or older) – Sell paper on the floor to players. Catch bingos when called, RUN to get the winning card, announce them to caller at the phone, then stand with your hand up until the runner comes with winnings. Arrive at 4:45 pm
**Need 3 people to count paper at the start of the night. Must be there at 4pm and will be let go early. Best if horses or paper aprons as they can leave early.
**If we are short of people, 14 year olds can work (runner or paper aprons) but can have a max of 2 at a bingo.
Captain – (1 person – adult) – Bring the briefcase. Help with counting paper, set up counter and aprons, organize workers to jobs, organize breaks, handle payouts for horse games sign papers. Arrive at 4pm and stay for papers to printed and signed to the very end.
*Captains are specifically trained and not available for general signup.
- All workers/co-ordinators need to park in the back but come in through the front main doors and get their temperature taken.
- At the end of the evening program garbage bags need to be tamped down. Every single one, unless it only has 1 or 2 dirty items in it. NO combining dirty garbage bags (like we used to do). Each garbage bin requires a NEW garbage bag. This is done Sunday – Wednesday bingos.
- Masks will be provided by the hall or you can bring your own – these are optional.
- Gloves will not be supplied but you can wear them if you prefer.
- Don’t have your cell phone out on the floor.
- RUN if you are the nearest person to a bingo. The quicker we get the Bingos, the quicker we get to go home! Try and spread out so the whole place is covered and there is always someone close to whoever yells Bingo.
- If you need to go to the bathroom or are on your break, leave your apron at the counter.
- If you are at the counter, they really don’t want drinks or food back there.
- Outside food/drink is not allowed (No Tim Horton’s cups!)